Thursday, October 25, 2007

In death - the birth of Daoust Nation

I've been calling most of the cousins to inform them of "Daoust Nation" and have been hearing most reactions being "wonderful" or "fantastic" and then followed by the question from some, "we should've thought of this a long time ago", and "what finally got this started"? I felt I should post this since I haven't spoken with everyone. I'd like to start off by thanking Donna for the idea, Sue, Paul and Josie for getting this up and running and most of all Uncle Wilfred for getting this idea under way.

Donna, Debbie and I were, yet again, a few weeks later (after Aunt Julia's death) having to get on the phone and start making phone calls to cousins regarding the passing of Uncle Wilfred. I told Donna and Debbie the frustration some of the cousins feel. Some of the cousins, without living parents,or not living amongst other family, aren't really getting good news phone calls, just the bad news ones. We all agreed that a lot of our lives are busy so it is hard to sit down and make calls. So before we split up the list of calls, Donna said it would be great if we could set up a web site. I told her it was a great idea and knew Sue could talk to Paul about setting one up or getting it going herself. I called Sue with the idea and she loved it and took the ball and started it rolling.

We went to Uncle Wilfreds memorial service - saw a lot of cousins come in for this and it felt good to see everyone, only wishing the circumstances were a different reason for the gathering. My brother did a beautiful eulogy (he said he will post it on here) from a compilation of stories and Father Forno's sermon was about the closeness of the Daoust family and said "most families are considered a clan, but never have I experienced a family so close and grand as the Daoust family and never have I referred to them as a clan, but instead I refer to them as "DAOUST NATION". Hence - thank you Uncle Wilfred - because they always say for every death there is a birth and this is quite the birth, (what is there more than 100 of us between aunts, uncles, 1st, 2nd and third cousins?) because many of us are now brought back together again, in good news and in bad news.

No it's not Aunt Yvonnes and Grandma and Grandpa's backyard, where we used to run around like maniacs and drive all our parents crazy and yet most of us cousins never realized back then how precious this family really is. Welcome back to Aunt Yvonne and Grandma and Grandpa's backyard and welcome everyone to "Daoust Nation". I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing from many whether it be good or bad!! Take Care - Joanne Braman-Palmer

1 comment:

Traci Daoust said...

Joanne - very well put! Thank you and Sue and everyone who helped get this site going - I think its a terrific idea and am glad there is a way for us to keep in touch. You really hit something when you said we didn't know how special our family is when we were kids. As we get older we see there are very few families like ours and its been hard to hold us together without Grandma. Let's make her proud!

Also I do have some great news to share - my sister Nicole is going to have a baby - hopefully a little sister for my nephew Logan. Another birth!!